50 grams vegan margarine
120 millilitres soy milk
2 tablespoons sunflower oil, plus 1 litre extra for frying
250 grams plain flour
100 grams caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Gently melt the butter over a low-medium heat. Add milk and 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and mix together. Once combined, take off the heat and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, 50g of the sugar, baking powder and salt with a fork. Make a well in the centre and pour in the butter mixture. Combine gradually until a thick dough forms.
3. Using your hands, roll dough into little flat balls and with your thumb, press a hole in the centre of each doughnut. (You may need to flour your hands for this part to avoid getting sticky!)
4. Heat up the litre of oil in a pan. To know when it’s hot enough, fry a little bit of bread in the oil. If it goes brown and floats to the top, in 45-50 seconds the oil will be ready! Gently lay the doughnuts into the oil using a spatula. Fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
5. Transfer the doughnuts onto some tissue paper to soak up any excess oil. Then roll into a bowl of the remaining 50g sugar.