2 rump steaks
1 egg, beaten
50g chopped onions (half an onion)
4 shallots, quartered
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon rosemary
2 tablespoons tomato puree
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
350ml beef stock
2 sheets puff pastry
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. Cut the two rump steaks into 1cm squares, cover in flour and fry until brown.
3. Set aside the steak and saute the onions, shallots, garlic, rosemary and thyme until the onions have softened.
4. Add the steak back into the pan, as well as the tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce and mix until covered.
5. Add the beef stock and ale and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
6. Remove lid and reduce until the sauce is thick and dark.
7. Roll out the puff pastry sheets and cut out 8cm circles for the pie base and 7cm circles for the top.
8. In a lightly oiled muffin tin, mould the pastry bases to each hole, then fill 3/4 with pie filling. Brush the sides of the base with egg and place the top on, sealing with your fingers. Brush with more egg, then pierce each pie with a fork. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.